Friday 4 April 2014

Update from AZ - Roy's update

**WARNING - This post has ended up being quite a bit longer than anticipated!**

Roy here.

At the time I write this, I have been in the USA for almost two weeks, and I've been in Arizona for 9 days. I really miss Holly and LJ, but thank God for Skype. At least I can talk to them and see their faces.

My first week here has been intense to say the least. I started off with the following "to do" list:
 - Open a bank account
 - get my AZ drivers license
 - including learn to drive on the "wrong" side of the car, and the "wrong" side of the road
 - change my address with the USCIS and NVC (visa applications for the fam)
 - file tax returns for the last three years (yes believe it or not, even though I earned well below the threshold to pay tax to the Fed while in NZ, I still have to file tax returns here...)
 - get a cell phone number sorted, and hopefully a new phone because my existing one is a piece of.... trash
 - go through my CV and make it more "American", including remembering it is called a "Resume"
 - suss out the job market
 - apply for jobs
 - get set up (finally) on Linked In
 - register with Manpower and Experis
 - get a gift for Holly for our anniversary
 - mail said gift, and MAKE SURE IT ARRIVES ON TIME!!! (turned out to cost a tad more in postage than I thought)
 - sample the local "cuisine" (actually only talking about fast food here!)
 - land a job

 I have so far achieved everything on that list apart from my tax returns (which are a bit trickier than in NZ), and land a job.

I have seriously applied for around 35 jobs in the last couple of days alone, a few that I don't feel qualified for but I figure it's better to shoot above my comfort zone and see what happens. I don't want to close doors on myself just because I feel unsure/unconfident.

I think I'm only just coming to grips with the time difference - at the moment we're 4 hours ahead of NZ but a day behind (which will change to 5 hours when NZ finishes daylight savings). It is definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be!

Driving here is still very weird. But I got my license! Apparently, even though I've had my NZ drivers license for more than ten years, it is not even recognized here. So I had to sit a written test and a practical test in order to be issued my Arizona drivers license. Thanks to my aunt and uncle who let me drive them around a bit in the days before hand, I breezed through it. Only a few things are different to back in NZ (apart from the obvious) so it wasn't too hard to adjust.

My cousin was awesome enough to help me with getting my phone sorted. I was able to get added on to his plan, which made it cheaper over all, and get a brand new phone for a lot cheaper than back home so I'm pretty stoked with how that turned out. He also just happened to be off work the week I arrived so he picked me up from the airport and took me to my aunt and uncle's house where I'm staying for the next little while. LEGEND. Oh and he introduced me to Chick-Fil-A.

 My aunt and uncle are awesome. So hospitable, and have been so helpful to me adjusting here. My aunt went through my resume with me and made a few changes to make it more "american" for me and has been great with leads on where to apply for work. Not to mention they are the reason I have my drivers license already and got my bank account set up so soon.

 I have been going for at least one walk per day. I'm still struggling to get up early and go for an early morning stroll, so often I head out around dinner time when it is a bit cooler outside. I still prefer the morning walks but as I say I'm still struggling with the time difference, especially morning and night. I've managed to get some cool photos on my strolls, so I'll add one or two to this post. My daily walk abouts have been super helpful with getting my bearings here and fixing up my sense of direction which has been out of whack since I got here.  Where my aunt and uncle live is about 40 miles west of downtown Phoenix, in a place called San Tan Valley.  It is really nice and nothing like the big city, lots of new houses and subdivisions, with a lot of open land all around.

I don't know if there is too much more for me to add at this point in time.  So enjoy the photographs, and leave a comment below if you wish.  Let me know if you have any requests for me to blog about regarding life here. 


Typical view to the north.  Desert.

Another view to the north.  Note green grass and trees.  A rare day with clouds and chance of rain.

Weather forecast for the next five days (Celsius)

Weather forecast in Fahrenheit

2 comments:

  1. Hi Roy, Great to hear what you're up to--no specific requests--it's all interesting! 35 jobs?! wow--that can be a tough search, but no doubt God is preparing the perfect one for you. Good luck with that driving on the "wrong" side of the road. It can be a bit traumatic no doubt--hopefully you don't have too many "arrrrrgh!!!" moments ;) Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to catch up on your move to AZ to date. Having traveled extensively in USA/CAN, many moons ago.... 'tis gr8 to follow your experiences so far. Definitely fortunate to have US relatives to ease the transition. Will be HOT there. I love the cloudy day photo-looks beautiful. Will get my Rand McNally out to check on your current location. Sounds like things will be falling into place for the 3 of real soon. Fingers crossed! Luv, usW's xox

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you...